Friday 13 June 2014

My baby - 9 months of hard work

9 months- The birth of my “baby”
It was not an easy path, but a path worth the walk.

Pre-Conception
Jul-Aug: All FYP students received a briefing as well as the available topics for FYP for that year. The document consists of a list of projects divided into 4 categories – PK, PC, PP and PT. The projects had accompanying title, description and supervisors in charged. I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of choices available, but decided to focus more on PK and PP projects since the topics seemed to be more interesting. I called up one of my seniors who, advised me greatly on which projects to choose. He is really very helpful. Spoke to several other seniors via sms, fb … for their advice as well.

Balloting was then carried out using a software after all students had submitted their 10 choices (ranked in order) to the FYP rep. Apparently, the software helps to ensure that majority of the students are able to receive their top few choices. I remembered that on the day of submission, something went wrong with the internet and my choices could not be uploaded. In my mind, I was thinking, “Is this a sign I should re-arrange the order of my choices? Will I fail to get any of my choices?” Having put in so much thoughts and effort to the order of my rankings of the projects, I decided to ignore the “sign” and proceeded on to submit my original rankings.

*Lots of uncertainty and anticipation.

Conception.
Indeed, I was one of the rare unlucky (or maybe lucky) few who weren’t allocated any of our 10 FYP choices. In fact, I was allocated to a project, which doesn’t seem to go in line with my interest at all. I was devastated. I started calling my friends up for advice. I panicked as I looked through the list of “leftover” projects as they were all subjected to first come first serve basis. Fortunately, there were a few wet lab-based projects and with due consideration, I sms-ed the FYP rep my rankings of the available projects left. I was allocated my second choice, dealing with PCC proteins. The supervisor seemed quite nice too.

A few days later, I had an appointment with the supervisor to learn more about the project as there is another deadline for switching of projects, should there be a need. He explained the project to me patiently and kindly re-assured me that there will be appropriate guidance by the phDs and that he will be there to help us at any point in time. Boosted by his positive energy, I decided to give this project a shot.

*Akin to an etopic pregnancy, an unstable beginning.

Gestation
With the thought of achieving as much as I could before thesis writing, I decided to do everything as fast as I could. There were a number of forms to be filled up and duly signed by myself and my supervisor. One risk assessment form, activation of lab entry etc etc. It is better to get all these forms filled up as early as possible so that labwork can begin early. Within one week or so, I was able to begin my labwork. 8am every morning, the time I would reach the lab. I was always one of the earliest to reach the lab for a start. Sometimes I had to wait for my mentor to arrive before I start work, which was quite frustrating. She taught me as much as she could within 1-2 weeks, starting with protein cloning, transformation, expression and eventually desalting. I had to scribble everything while she speaks, into my notebook. All the steps, concentration, reagents, location of reagents and equipment she uses. At the end of the day, I had to transfer everything I had scribbled down into my log book. I was glad to keep on track transferring the info into my log book as it really helps to facilitate my labwork and everything could be organised properly.

Soon, I was able to work on my own. She monitored my closely on my first attempt. Made some mistakes here and there as it was nerve wrecking having someone breathing down your neck.

Then I was free to go. It was very carefree and I enjoyed working in the lab for a start, especially when I realised I could express my proteins successfully and get the equipment working correctly. On and off, I had several in impromptu meet-ups with my supervisor to clarify my doubts and to update him my progress. I was then asked by my supervisor to plan various experiments that I could possibly conduct to test the stability of the proteins. He prompted a few tests that I could carry out and I had to find out more. Lots of reading up. LOTS and LOTS of it.

The beginning felt like a mountain was impeding my journey ahead. There were so many uncertainties and doubts ahead to overcome before I could finally see the light and clear path ahead. I often compare myself with my FYP friends. Some of them had their whole experiments planned out properly by their supervisor/ mentor and had a clear idea of what to do for their project. For me, the experiments weren’t even fixed. Furthermore, the machines and facilities needed to run the tests proposed were either non-functioning or non-existent in our labs. My supervisor had to contact several other profs to enquire the availability of such.

Then came a period where a mismatch of goals and expectations, between that of my supervisor and mentor, occurred.  It was truly a tough time.

On the bright side, a scientist from SERI at MD6 had agreed to allow us to use his facilities FOR FREE! Then there were problems of booking, and some sense of unhappiness when we booked the machines for our use ahead of the perm staff there.

There was a period of time, probably a few weeks or months, where my proteins failed to be expressed. All the time and effort down the drain, my emotions and feelings went downhill as well. The way to the lab felt like a chore, from love to hate. The lack of help, as previously promised, made matter worse. I was depressed. Loss of appetite, perpetual sadness, lack of concentration, motor dysfunction. I had doubts whether I could finish my project in time and with results.

Fortunately, I have a very encouraging supervisor who is willing to give advice at all times. The root of the problem to the failed protein expression was discovered. I began to be able to express my proteins again! The most memorable experience I had was the one on New Year’s day where for the first time, I managed to purify 2 different proteins of sufficient concentration!

Slowly but surely, I began to gain more confidence in the lab, boosted by the encouragements of my supervisors, friends of S4L3 and ant. I was beginning to feel more at ease and enjoy working in the lab more.

Yet again, another bad news came. My supervisor broke the news to us somewhere in dec that he is going to resign. I remembered trying to hold my tears SO HARD as he broke the news to us in the meeting room with Dr Ee and all his FYP students. I was handed over to Dr. Chew, a sliver lining amongst the black clouds. I had always dreamed of working with Dr. Chew. Her lab is just diagonally opposite mine, and I always see her around, joking and teaching her students. Well, at least I managed to get some consolation with this arrangement.

The whole period of labwork was a period of self-discovery, patience and perseverance.

Birth
The birth of my thesis, presentation 2 and poster was meticulously induced by Dr. Chew. I always admire her dedication to all her students, albeit the little time she has. I feel bad having to impose upon her when she already has so many students at hand.

Presentation 2 was particularly memorable as my examiners were Dr kang LF and Prof C Chai. I was scared to death having found out that Prof Chai is my e2. During P2, Dr KLF was very pleased with the info presented and even stayed back to question me more about the project! Surprisingly, I enjoyed the question and answer session with both of my examiners. I felt like a proud mother answering any doubts and selling my project to them ^^

Thankfully, my FYP turned out better than expected :)

Great thanks to:
Dr Kang TS: for constantly embracing my endless number of questions, office visits, his listening ear, his encouragements and tips for P1, WR and advice for lab work. :D

S4L3 group photo!

Dr Chew EH: for her numerous edits for all my drafts, all the fun and laughter in the lab and during consultation, her ghost and harry potter stories during labwork. And giving me such a fun 30 minutes chatting about the missing flight after my P2 rehearsal. And thank you Dr Chew for being such a cuuuuteeeeee prof! ^^


Dr Chew Team <3

Dr Lakshmi: for his critiques of my labwork, answering all my questions and generously allowing us to use his facilities. I deeply remember him coming to check on me on a Saturday before he leaves his office as I was the only person in the lab that day. J
Mahnaz: for teaching me and allowing me to work independently
PhDs and lab tech of S4L3: for all their help and reagents! :) special shoutout to Dr chew's, Dr Ee's and Prof Yu's lab!
Fellow comrades of S4L3: to all of you for your presence in the lab. When u all are around, it makes me feel more at home where everyone works together for a common goal! I really enjoyed all my time in the lab when you guys are around, when we joke around or make small talks in the lab!! :D
Jumanah: for your presence, hugs, bimbotic convos, cheering up sessions, doing things together, stealing nitrogen gas with me from the deserted place, making me laugh when u said you are getting breast cancer after getting poked by your needle and being there for me. It’s a pity I didn’t manage to record all the funny things u said! bleagh

Fun in the lab!

John: for his encouragement, mini chocolates to cheer me up when I am down, for “disturbing” me during labwork, providing advice and answering my questions, for our informal P2 rehearsals and your thought provoking questions It was fun having you around!
Zizhao: for building the snowman one fine early morning and for all his funny bones comments and bringing laughter to the lab
Icy the S4L3 snowman!
Li ting: for your pancake!! That was really sweet of you! And your sweet hello and good byes in the lab! You are so cuuuuttteee!
Jon: for our people talking sessions, help, opening the lab doors for us and writing jumanah’s Chinese name HAHA
Yihui: for chit chatting during our lab sessions especially when no mentors are around in our lab. We are like the owners of the lab hahaha
FangKang: for our CD discussions and advice along the way

Benson: for taking the time off to answer our queries and to meet joanne and I to give us valuable advice regarding e2! Really appreciate it J
Jason Low: for giving tips re Dr KLF
Sherman Yee: for constantly hearing me out and giving me support always. And for the fun rides exploring new roads to and back from lab in dec!
Vivien: for your encouraging letter and mickey mouse treats! So sweet ^^
Nicholas C: for hearing me out, jiayou-ing me and head starts for PP3 projs!
John Loy: for his interesting fb shares, our bitching sessions and support for each other
Brandon: for his support and shares re school work!
Cecilia: for our mini chit chats whenever we meet in the lab lift at MD6.
Szehan: for all his effort and hardwork as a FYP rep. xinkunile
Thai Xiong: my whatsapp buddy for your constant support
Benjamin T: Ben ben for your chit chat sessions over fb
Kaka: for cheering me on from HK <3
Yu Jing: for all your concern,chatting and venting via skype hehe
Amos: for the occasional catch up sessions!
Jeremy G: for constantly checking up on me, reviewing my P1 slides and providing ideas on how to improve my presentation. For driving all the way to my house to satisfy my ice cream cravings and for the inspiring book! and for always sharing verses, and answering my endless number of questions regarding Christianity and god. So touched! :')
Qixuan: for the super awesome phone call and analysis of all the projs and supervisors. paiseh still owe you a meal for sooo long already :(
Kweehaan, rachel chua, yong sheng: for answering my questions re FYP :)
CASHY: for the fun talks and fun outings with renci pts 
GTN: for everyone of you talking to me or sitting with me during lectures! J just by your mere presence makes my heart flutter <3
Ant: for always being there for me. Accompanying me and waiting for my labwork to be over, sometimes stretching till 8-9pm. For listening to all my protein problems and trying to give suggestions and pondering over my hiccups although you know nuts about proteins. Hahaha it was really funny how you try to crack your head to think of solutions whenever I complain to you.
Family: for their unwavering love

And to each and everyone of you who have spoken to me or helped me in any ways during the difficult times, a big thank you J

Advice to future parents of FYP

1. Choose your projects wisely

In retrospect, I think it is important to choose your projects based on your interest. You may want to strategize how you rank your choices for submission. One fatal mistake of mine was perhaps ranking all the popular projs as my top few choices. But then again, I guess luck plays a part too

2. The world doesn’t end if you don’t get your choice of project
There will be leftovers for you to choose from. You may also switch project with your friend if they are kind enough to do so! Even if these can’t change your fate, fret not! Your supervisors will be there to help and guide you! Or maybe there’s a reason why you are allocated with a particular project! For me, I get to learn many things and make a lot of new friends, meet great professors and even get to work with Dr. chew! J I was glad eventually to be given this project although I had complained a lot throughout the whole process.

3. Start early and take the initiative to do things!
Get all the paperwork and vaccinations done as soon as possible so that you can start your labwork early. Consult your prof re risk assessment. Get a big picture of your project, talk to your supervisors to clear all your doubts and plan early ahead of time. Dr kang lets us do things in our own pace. Unless we are really running out of time. So it is impt to take the initiative to get things started!

4. Get a log book
Some profs require you to get a log book for submission at the end of FYP. It will be good to have a mini notebook for you to jot down stuff on the go PLUS a log book. Do update your log book diligently. Update whatever you do, every single thing you do. Include the date, the time and things you do. It will help greatly if you can refer to the things you have done and the documentation can aid your decision making if you have to do any corrections in experimental procedures.

5. Saving your files in appropriate format
It will be good to save your document in this way:    e.g. 14 june 2014 1330 Protein CD data. This is similar to how dr chew saves her stuff. It allows you to keep track of when you did this and that as well.

6. References
Update your references as early as possible! Save them all in a library in endnote. It will be much easier when u have to insert them into your thesis. For mine, I relied mainly on endnote for my referencing! It’s very convenient and automated! Saves a lot of time. There will be a session during PP3 or research methodology where they will teach you how to use endnote. The pharmacy dept is very helpful in teaching us ways to do literature search and referencing. So don’t worry!

7. Talk to your supervisors
If anything, talk to your supervisors! They are the one who know the project well, other than you or your mentor. If you can’t take it anymore, let them know, I’m sure they will be willing to solve the problems with you. (unless you get some nasty supervisors? Hahah)

8. Support
Support one another throughout this period. It isn’t going to be easy having to juggle schoolwork and FYP at the same time, especially lab based ones. Listen to your friends patiently if they have to complain and help one another! Year 4 sem 2 is going to be very hectic with all the PP3 assignments and assessments going on at the same time. Plan your time and work allocation properly!

9. Goals of FYP
Dr. Kang has reiterated several times that FYP is about testing how much you know about the project. The rationale behind the project is of utter importance. (especially in P1). Know why you have to do this project. What is the objective? And how do you achieve your goals? Why do u conduct this particular experiment and how does it help you answer your hypothesis?
It is okay even if you get negative results or did not get any results. You have to then think of why you get this particular outcome. How do you think you can overcome it. What alternatives do you think could be carried out to change the outcome?
Its all about the WHY WHY WHY and HOW HOW HOW. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

These are my two cents worth! Have fun and enjoy the whole FYP process! 
(pls ignore the brevity of language and grammatical/spelling errors)

Hours of preparation
KTS lab!


Lab early mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment